Monday, 9 September 2013

Where the heart is.

I'd like to make something clear. I need to make something clear.
Our home was broken into and I was varying degrees of pissed off  and relieved. And I may now sleep with one eye open, but I am not disillusioned. I feel a little less safe on my own. I am a little more aware. But I am not feeling all hopeless and helpless and thinking that my son would be safer somewhere else.
Look. Maybe he would be. No doubt he would come to no harm in a town like Stromness in the Orkney Islands or a nice quiet village in the French countryside. Australia sounds quite safe and I believe life is pretty idyllic in tropical Hawaii. But those places aren't South Africa. Those places aren't home.
Oh no, South Africa. You may rape your children and starve your people. You may divide and unite your people at whim and murder the miners of your riches and the farmers of your land. You bleed your poor and feed your rich. You ignore your learners and you shelter your politicians.
But you have birthed a strong people. People who have song in their hearts and fire in their souls. People who breathe the beauty of their land and the diversity of her kin. People who believe. In spite of it all you have birthed people with faith.
I am not disillusioned.
I am a people who believe. I am a people with faith.

I am South African.

6 comments:

  1. Extremely proud to have you in our midst.
    Your greatest fan !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Tash, I am completely with you on this one! I am such a person who acknowledges South Africa's stength and her people's faith and resilience. Let us and our children never leave and continue to acknowledge the hardships many of her people face, and contribute to and enjoy this beautiful country and the good within her! Nkosi Sikelel' i[South]Afrika!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true! Us Saffers are strong people. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about your break in Tash:(
    I love your words above, and although I've been in London for 5 years, I know I could never live here forever and I know that in the next few years we will move back to our true home South Africa.
    Our friends flat was robbed on Wednesday here in London too...I think often it's the invasion of your personal space that is worse than what you lose.
    Hope you guys are ok,
    Lulu x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lulu,
      Thanks, we are all fine. And I agree, we've managed to replace the computers, phones, etc. but it's the thought of those men walking past Noah's room while I lay sleeping, completely unaware, that occupies most of my thinking.
      x

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete